Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Shout Out to the Wildlife Staff and Voulnteers

Yesterday I had the pleasure of photographing the babies in the wildlife department at the shelter I volunteer with.  I found out it is no easy task to take care of these little ones, the baby birds for example have to be fed every 30 minutes round the clock and there is always someone there to do the job.

During this time of the year the center is deluged with babies found on the road, in trees, in peoples yards.  The Baby Barn Owls were found in a tree along a popular hiking path, the mother had been injured and eventually had to be euthanized but she protected her flock until the very end, a true mother.

The hardest part of this job is not the long hours but not getting attached or letting the animals get attached to you, for their own protection.  This is why I work with dogs as I really don't think I could look at these little faces and not fall in love, it was all I could do yesterday not to cuddle them and I did get a sneak cuddle in with one of the baby raccoons (bad bad bad).

But anyway this is a hurrah to all the great people helping our worlds wildlife you all are very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment